SISTERHOOD SA PTY
BY AFRICAN WOMEN
FOR AFRICAN WOMEN
MENSTRUATION AND SCHOOL GIRLS IN SOUTH AFRICA²
In South Africa, it has been observed that women and girls often don’t have enough money to buy female hygiene products. The adolescent girls struggling to buy female hygiene products must turn to rags, socks, even notebook paper, and often lack access to clean water and private toilet facilities. The topic of menstruation can be taboo in many cultures, including that of the different cultures in South Africa (Steinig, 2017; Kirk & Sommer, 2006), and young girls can therefore experience shame and embarrassment when they are menstruating and do not have the resources to manage their menstruation hygienically (Steinig, 2017). There is anecdotal evidence that suggests this lack of resources might result in young girls, particularly of high school age, missing school while menstruating and one study found that adolescent girls in South Africa can miss up to five days of school per month due to menstruation (Khumalo, 2015).
²Full study: https://crownschool.uchicago.edu/menstruation-and-school-girls-south-africa-intervention-study
We are a team of 3 African women with extensive combined manufacturing, supply chain, IT, finance and medical knowledge as gained by the support of specialists, doctors, nurses and patients alike. We are intent on making a difference in the lives of young girls & women throughout Africa. We have both national and international business experience and an immense amount of passion for our cause. 30% of South African women are affected daily by the lack of access or affordability to sanitary wear, this needs to change!
We believe our product and business solution can be utilized and implemented with limited cost throughout Africa to alleviate the basic need currently not receiving the attention it deserves.
Our sanitary kit, the first of its kind in the world, provides a product, educational brochures for disease and contraception, cleaning products, panties, 3 washable inserts and a waterproof wings base set with biodegradable packaging.
The product has a life cycle of 2 years.
KEY ELEMENTS ADDRESSED IN THE KIT
The first of it’s kind in the world!
- Washable re-usable cost factor – affordability and duration
- Educational leaflets relating to diseases and contraception early warning detection will prevent loss of life
- Attendance at work (increased GDP), school & university
- Sustainable growth in the workplace with entry level jobs
- Business plan speaks to economical start-up throughout Africa
- Go green element addressed with biodegradable packaging
- Dignity for young girls ensuring they have underwear
- Washing materials introduced at low cost, sizing for young girls
SISTERHOOD SANITARY KIT COMPOSITION
Each pack comes in different size options: small, medium or large.
- 1 x waterproof wings
- 2 x thick pad liner insert
- 1 x thin pad liner insert
- 1 x pair of panties
- 1 x clear zip-lock bag for soiled inserts.
- 1 x packet of salt for cleaning purposes
- 1 x packet of bicarbonate of soda for cleaning purposes
- 1 x Personal health check link to the website for early detection of diseases or allergies, agony aunt format for questions and brochure insert
- Instructions for use